I was asked by Shannon Sharpe to attend her annual Summer photo shoot, not as a shooter, but as an event coordinator, to provide any needed assistance/tips as an experienced photographer on the day of the shoot. The event was held at Common 414 downtown Raleigh. I was not scheduled to shoot and this was not my concept, however, Carlton aka Nicole, who was a stylist that day, asked me to capture some images of her work; she wanted the two different photography styles to be captured for her port. Since I had not planned on shooting at this event, my game plan was simply to use the available light around me. I didn't use any off or on camera flash to capture these images. The images of Ai were all created using the venues lights, and the images of Shelby were created using natural light.
A little background on the theme which was conceptualized by Wesley Yuan Shang (the photographer Nicole styled the models for at the event) and Carlton Eliza Charles aka Nicole Sue:
Yoruba spiritual beliefs are held in parts of Nigeria and Benin, some of which were introduced to and remain a mainstay in some western cultures. In Yoruba belief, God (Olodumare - the divine creator and supreme energy) has many faces or states of existence, resulting in a pantheon of entities/Orishas. Among the pantheon of Yoruba Orishas (deities) are Oya and Oshun; they each embody one of the manifestations of God (Olodumare) and are aspects/representations of the divine feminine energies:
- Oya - a rapid, transitional energy; goddess of winds, tempest, change, transformation, and renewal; she is a fierce warrior, protector of women, and guardian of the realms between life and death. She is the Orisha of rebirth and new life.
- Oshun - a calming, love energy associated with sweet, fresh waters and rivers; she heals the sick, watches over and provides assistance to the disadvantaged. She is a progenitor of song, music, dance, fertility, and prosperity.
Acknowledgement to the following creatives for realizing the concept:
- Desirae Lewis - mua
- Sydnei Jones - hair stylist
- Carlton Eliza Charles (Nicole Sue) - wardrobe stylist
- Ai Rachel - model
- Shelby Boyd - model
- Wesley Yuan Shang - concept
If you want to attend one of my workshops, please become a member of my meetup group and RSVP for any workshop that you are interested in.
If you like what you see, please share with your friends and family. Also, please click the heart button and/or post some feedback below.